Vladimir Alexandrovich Mau
– Doctor of Economics
– Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at Pierre Mendes France University specializing in Applied Economics
– Honored Economist of the Russian Federation
– State Councilor of the Russian Federation of the First Order
Born on December 29, 1959 in Moscow, Mau graduated from Plekhanov Moscow Institute of the National Economy in 1981. After receiving his degree, he conducted scientific research at the Institute of Economics of the USSR Academy of Sciences, the Institute of Economic Policy of the Academy of National Economy under the USSR Cabinet, the Institute for the Economy in Transition (IET), and taught at Lomonosov Moscow State University, the State University - Higher School of Economics, and the Moscow Center of Stanford University.
Since 1991, he has participated in developing and implementing economic reforms in Russia, including working as Advisor to the Chairman of the Russian Government from 1992-1993. From 1997 – 2002, Vladimir Mau was the Head of the Working Center for Economic Reforms of the Russian Government. In 2002, he became the Rector of the Academy of National Economy under the Government of the Russian Federation.
In 2010 Vladimir Mau became the Rector of the newly formed Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA). The Academy was established in accordance with Presidential Decree No. 1140 (September 20, 2010) and the Federal Government Decree No. 1562 (September 23, 2010), merging several institutions into one: the Academy of National Economy under the Government of the Russian Federation (ANE), the Russian Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Russian Federation (RAPA), and 12 federal educational institutions.
Rector Mau is a renowned expert in the field of economic theory, the history of economic thought, and national economy. He is the author of 25 monographs, books, and textbooks published in Russia and the UK, as well as more than 600 other published works in Russian, English, French, German, and Italian. The main results of Professor Mau’s research focus on economic history and the history of economic thought in Russia and the USSR; the theory and history of economic policy, including the period of the New Economic Policy; the evolution of the economic system of the USSR; and the experience of reforms in its economic mechanisms. Particular emphasis is placed on analyzing contemporary Russian economic problems and long-term developmental trends. Vladimir Mau was one of the first to investigate the problem of Russian constitutional economics and develop a new direction in the study of transformational economic processes. This became known as the political economy of reforms. The results of these studies are summarized in his essential monographs: In Search of balanced development: From the History of Development of Soviet Economic Thought in the late 1930s – early 1960s. (1990); Economy and Power (1995); Economic Reform Through the Prism of the Constitution and Politics (1999); The Challenge of Revolution: Contemporary Russia in Historical Perspective (2001); Great Revolutions. From Cromwell to Putin (in collaboration with I. Starodubrovskaya, 2001); Reforms and Dogmas: 1861 – 1929. Government and Economy in the Time of Reforms and Revolutions (2013).
Vladimir Mau is also the editor-in-chief of the scholarly journal Economic Policy; he is chairman of the Editorial Board for the journal Logos; a member of the editorial board for academic publications such as Economic Issues, The Journal of Economic Transition (USA), Finance and Business.
- Member of the Economic Council under the President of the Russian Federation
- Member of the Commission for Civil Service and Management Personnel Pool under the President of the Russian Federation
- Chairman of the Expert Council under the Government Commission of Economic Development and Integration
- Member of the Government Commission on Training Managerial Personnel for the Russian Economy
- Member of the Government Commission on Administrative Reform
- Member of the Government Commission for the Coordination of the Open Government
- Chairman of the Public Council under the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation, the Federal Service for Labour and Employment (Rostrud), the Federal Tax Service of Russia
- Member of the Scientific Council of the Russian Academy of Sciences on Russian and World Economic history
- Member of the Higher Attestation Commission at the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
- Honorary Professor of the Russian-Armenian (Slavonic) State University for a significant contribution to the theory and practice of economic reforms development, as well as for many years of fruitful research, teaching and a high level of professionalism in any activity.
Awards and distinctions:
- The honorary title of Honored Economist of the Russian Federation for achievements in the field of economics and finance (2000)
- Order of Honor for professional achievements and many years of fruitful labor (2009)
- Order For Merit to the Fatherland (4th class) for contributions to developing of national socioeconomic policy and many years of fruitful scientific activity (2012)
- Certificate of Merit of the Government of the Russian Federation, for promoting social and economic policy, fruitful scientific activity, and training highly qualified managers and scientific personnel (2007)
Tel.: +7 495 434-83-89
Fax: +7 495 433-24-85