Chairman of RANEPA Academic Council
Phone: +7 495 434-83-89
Fax: +7 495 433-24-85
- Doctor of Economics, Professor
- PhD in Applied Economics from Pierre Mendes-France University (France)
- Full State Counsellor of the Russian Federation, 1st Class
- Merited Economist of the Russian Federation
Born in Moscow on December 29, 1959.
1981: Plekhanov Moscow Institute of National Economy.
1981–1990: Graduate program at the Institute of Economics of the Soviet Academy of Sciences; research assistant; Research Fellow of the Institute of Economics of the Soviet Academy of Sciences.
1990-1991: head of laboratory at the Institute for Economic Policy of the Academy of National Economy under the USSR Council of Ministers.
1991-1994: Aide to the First Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation, Advisor to the Prime Minister of the Russian Federation.
1994-1997: Deputy Director of the Institute for the Economy in Transition.
1997-2002: Head of the Working Center for Economic Reforms under the Government of the Russian Federation.
2002-2010: Rector of the Academy of National Economy under the Government of the Russian Federation.
2010-present: Rector of the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA).
- The Academy was established by Executive Order of the President of the Russian Federation No. 1140 of September 20, 2010 and Directive of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 1562-r of September 23, 2010 merging the Academy of National Economy under the Government of the Russian Federation (ANE), the Russian Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Russian Federation (RAGS), and 12 regional civil service academies
- Author of over 30 monographs, books and textbooks published in Russia abroad
- Author of more than 800 whitepapers and articles (in Russian, English, French, German and Italian)
Vladimir Mau conducted research at the Institute of Economics of the Soviet Academy of Sciences; the Institute for Economic Policy of the Academy of National Economy under the USSR Council of Ministers, and the Institute for the Economy in Transition; he taught at Lomonosov Moscow State University, State University – Higher School of Economics; Moscow Center, Stanford University, USA. From 1991, he was involved in the development and practical implementation of the economic reforms in Russia.
Dr. Mau’s main theoretical and research works are devoted to the economic history and history of economic research in Russia and the Soviet Union, the theory and history of economic policy, the economic problems of reforms and revolutions, the evolution of the Soviet economic system, and the experience of reforming the economic mechanism. He particularly analyzes the modern Russian economy’s problems and long-term development trends. He was one of the first researchers to start exploring Russia’s constitutional economy problems and developing a new area in the study of transformational economic processes – the political economy of reforms and revolutions.
The results of these studies are summarized in his monographs:
- In the Search of Conformity to Plan: From the History of Development of the Soviet Economic Thought of the End of the 30-s – the Beginning of the 60-s
- Economy and Power
- Economic Reform: Through the Lens of the Constitution and Politics
- The Challenge of Revolution: Contemporary Russia in Historical Perspective
- Great Revolutions from Cromwell to Putin (co-author, 2001)
- From Crisis to Growth
- Reforms and Dogmas. The State and the Economy in the Age of Reforms and Revolutions (1861-1929) (2013)
- Human Capital: Challenges for Russia (2013)
- Future of Universities (co-author, 2015)
- Crises and Lessons. Russia's Economy in an Age of Turbulence
- Revolutions: Mechanisms, Preconditions and Consequences of Radical Social Transformations
- The State and the Economy: Economic Reform Experience (2017)
- Economy and power: Experience of Post-Communist Transformation (2017)
- Russia’s Economy in an Epoch of Turbulence: Crises and Lessons (2018)
- The Economy and Politics in Russia: Year after Year (1991-1999) (2018)
Dr. Mau is Editor-in-chief of the Ekonimicheskaya Poitika (Economic Policy) journal; chairman of the editorial board of Obrazovatelnaya Politika (Educational Policy) the Logos magazine, member of the editorial board of the journals Voprosy Ekonomiki (Issues of Economics), and Finansy i Biznes (Finance and Business).
Commissions and Councils
- Member of the Presidential Commission for Civil Service and Management Personnel Pool
- Member of the Presidential National Council for Professional Qualifications
- Member of the Government Commission for Economic Development and Integration
- Member of the Government Commission on Administrative Reform
- Member of the Government Commission on the Organization of Training of Managerial Personnel for Entities of the National Economy
- Chairman of the Public Councils under the Ministry of Economic Development and the Federal Tax Service
- Deputy Chairman of the Higher Attestation Commission of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education
- Order for Service to the Motherland, 3rd Class
- Order for Service to the Motherland, 4th Class
- Order of Honor
- The President's Letter of Acknowledgement
- Honorary Certificate of the Russian Government