Rector of RANEPA
Doctor of Economics, Professor, PhD
Merited Economist of the Russian Federation
Chairman of RANEPA Academic Council
Phone +7 (495) 434-8389, fax +7 (495) 433-2485
- Doctor of Economics;
- PhD in Applied Economics from Pierre Mendes-France University (France);
- Merited Economist of the Russian Federation;
- Class 1 Full State Counsellor of the Russian Federation.
* * *
Born December 29, 1959 in Moscow.
1981: Plekhanov Moscow Institute of National Economy.
1981–1990: Graduate program at the Institute of Economics of the Soviet Academy of Sciences
1991–1997: Deputy Director of the Institute for the Economy in Transition
Research work at the Institute of Economics of the Soviet Academy of Sciences; the Institute for Economic Policy of the Academy of National Economy under the USSR Council of Ministers, and the Institute for the Economy in Transition;
Teaching at Lomonosov Moscow State University, State University – Higher School of Economics; Moscow Center, Stanford University, USA.
From 1991: participation in the development and practical implementation of the economic reforms in Russia, including as Advisor to the Prime Minister of the Russian Federation (in 1992-1993) and Head of the Working Center for Economic Reforms under the Government of the Russian Federation (1997-2002).
2002-2010: Rector of the Academy of National Economy under the Government of the Russian Federation.
2010-present: Rector of the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA).
The Academy was established by Executive Order of the President of the Russian Federation No. 1140 of September 20, 2010 and Directive of the Government of the Russian Federation No. 1562-r of September 23, 2010 merging the Academy of National Economy under the Government of the Russian Federation (ANE), the Russian Academy of Public Administration under the President of the Russian Federation (RAGS), and 12 regional civil service academies.
Dr. Mau is an expert in economic theory, the history of economics and the national economy. Author of 25 monographs, books and manuals published in Russia and the UK, and more than 600 whitepapers and articles (in Russian, English, French, German and Italian).
His main theoretical and research works are devoted to the economic history and history of economic research in Russia and the Soviet Union, the theory and history of economic policy, including the NEP period, the evolution of the Soviet economic system, and the experience of reforming the economic mechanism. He particularly analyzes the modern Russian economy’s problems and long-term development trends. He was one of the first researchers to start exploring Russia’s constitutional economy problems and developing a new area in the study of transformational economic processes – the political economy of reform. The results of these studies are summarized in his monographs:
- In the Search of Conformity to Plan: From the History of Development of the Soviet Economic Thought of the End of the 30-s – the Beginning of the 60-s
- Economy and Power
- Economic Reform: Through the Lens of the Constitution and Politics
- The Challenge of Revolution: Contemporary Russia in Historical Perspective
- Great Revolutions from Cromwell to Putin (in collaboration with Irina Starodubrovskaya, 2001)
- From Crisis to Growth
- Reforms and Dogmas. The State and the Economy in the Age of Reforms and Revolutions (1861-1929) (2013)
- Crises and Lessons. Russia's Economy in an Age of Turbulence
- Revolutions: Mechanisms, Preconditions and Consequences of Radical Social Transformations
Dr. Mau is Editor-in-chief of the Ekonimicheskaya Poitika (Economic Policy) journal; chairman of the editorial board of the Logos magazine, member of the editorial board of the journals Voprosy Ekonomiki (Issues of Economics), Journal of Economic Transition (USA), and Finansy i Biznes (Finance and Business).
- Member of the Presidential Economic Council Presidium;
- Member of the Presidential Commission for Civil Service and Management Personnel Pool;
- Member of the Government Commission on the Organization of Training of Managerial Personnel for Entities of the National Economy;
- Chairman of the Public Councils under the Ministry of Economic Development, the Federal Service for Labor and Employment, and the Federal Tax Service;
- Member of the Russian Academy of Sciences’ Research Council on Russian and World Economic History.
Merited Economist of the Russian Federation, awarded for merits in economics and financial activity, 2000
Honorary Professor of the Russian-Armenian (Slavic) State University, awarded for a major contribution to the development of theory and practice of economic reforms, for many years of fruitful research and academic activity, and for high professionalism manifested in all areas of activity.
- Order for Service to the Motherland, 3rd Class, for merits in the development of the state social and economic policy and for many years of fruitful academic activity (2017);
- Order for Service to the Motherland, 4th Class, for merits in the development of the state social and economic policy and for many years of fruitful academic activity (2012);
- Order of Honor for professional achievements and long-term fruitful work;
- Honorary Certificate of the Russian Government for merits in the promotion of the state social and economic policy, fruitful research activity and training of highly skilled managerial and research personnel (2007)