Admission for International StudentsPrint
The provided information is based on frequently asked questions and is not exhaustive. The detailed procedure and conditions of foreign citizens’ enrolment on a Bachelor program, specialist and master’s degree programs are established by RANEPA Regulations of Admission.
Who is a foreign citizen?
A foreign citizen is a person who is not a citizen of the Russian Federation and is a citizen (subject) of another state.* In case of multiple citizenship, if an applicant is regarded as a citizen of the Russian Federation and, concurrently, as a citizen of (an)other state(s) under the laws of those states, they are required to list each of those countries in the application for admission.
Foreign citizens can be enrolled with the Presidential Academy in two ways:
1. Using the free tuition quota for foreign citizens accorded by the Government of the Russian Federation.
2. On general terms, in accordance with the Rules for admission to the Academy (scholarship or fee-based).
For more details on admission under the government quota and on general terms please go here.
* Federal Law 62-FZ of May 31, 2002, On Citizenship of the Russian Federation.
The application in general order
- All foreigners regardless of citizenship have rights to enter RANEPA on a contractual basis. In this case, it is not necessary to provide the additional documents mentioned below in item.
- The right to apply on a budgetary basis given to:
2.1. Citizens of foreign countries:
2.1.1. The Republic of Belarus, the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, the Republic of Tajikistan (no additional requirements).
2.1.2. The Republic of Armenia, the Republic of Moldova, the Republic of Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Georgia, the Republic of Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, the Republic of Estonia (There are additional requirements established by the international treaty of the Russian Federation with the relevant state. They usually specified requirements for residence permit in Russian Federation).
2.2. Compatriots (regardless of the citizenship). To apply for education as a compatriot it is necessary to submit documents (other proofs) to RANEPA confirming:
- Regarding the applicant’s parents:
- citizenship of the USSR (usually, birth certificate of the USSR, passport of the USSR);
- current citizenship (usually, foreign passport);
- current residence abroad (usually, the passport with a stamp in the column "Place of residence", official extracts, references, etc.);
- Regarding descendant of compatriot (applicant):
- Documents, which prove a relationship with the above-mentioned person (usually, a birth certificate, passport with a stamp in the column “Children”);
- current residence abroad (usually, the passport with a stamp in the column "Place of residence", official extracts, references, etc.).
- Regarding the applicant’s parents:
The foreign citizens who have a right to enter RANEPA on a budgetary basis can apply at the same time both on the budgetary basis and on the contractual basis.
3.To apply for RANEPA on a contractual and (or) budgetary basis it is necessary to submit the following documents within the terms established by the Regulations of Admission:
- application form;
- a document identifying personality (or its copy);
- a document certifying the level of previous education with the supplement (or its copy);
any documents confirming individual achievements, established by the Regulations of Admission (presented at the discretion of an applicant);
- 2 photos of 3х4 cm (for applicants who enter RANEPA not by results of the Unified State Exam, but by results of the examinations held by RANEPA).
3.1. During the enrollment on a budgetary basis a foreign citizen provides additional documents for compatriots (see above items 2.2) and for citizens of the countries stated above in items 2.1.2.
If a foreign citizen submits the document certifying the level of previous education received not in the Russian Federation, but in the foreign state, then one has to undergo the procedure of recognition directly in RANEPA. In case of submission of the certificate of the Federal Service for Supervision in Education and Science (Rosobrnadzor) on recognition of foreign education the RANEPA procedure of recognition is not required. The more detailed information on the procedure of recognition in RANEPA you can find here.
The documents processed in a foreign language should be provided with the notarized translation into Russian.
If the foreign citizen arrives on a bachelor' or specialist degree program on intramural and extramural forms of education, then the above-stated documents need to be submitted within the following terms:
- from June 20 to July 26 – for enrollment by results of the Unified State Exam
- from June 20 to July 10 – for enrollment not by results of the Unified State Exam, but by results of the examinations held by Academy.
- from June 20 to July 12 – for enrollment on 42.03.02 Journalism and 54.03.01 Design.
If a foreign citizen applies on a contractual basis, one takes 2 examinations in RANEPA in the form of testing or reports the results of the Unified State Exam (at the choice of an applicant).
If a foreign citizen applies on a budgetary basis, one takes 3 examinations in Academy in the form of testing or reports the results of the Unified State Exam (at the choice of an applicant). You can find the list of entrance tests here.
Programs of the examinations held by RANEPA are accessible here. The schedule of the examinations held by RANEPA (with the exact indication of the address, audience and time of carrying out) will be published no later than June 1
Attention! In case of successful passing of the examination and enrolling RANEPA, foreigners should submit relevant documents according to the migration legislation of the Russian Federation. To obtain more detailed information, it is necessary to contact the faculty coordinator on work with foreign students.
On the issue of the enrollment of foreign citizens, please, contact:
The Admission committee concerning bachelor’s and specialist degree programs:
Phone: +7 499 270-29-47, Email: email@example.com
The Admission subcommittee of the faculty concerning master’s degree programs.
Department of a postgraduate study and doctoral studies concerning the postgraduate study.
If a foreigner applies for bachelor’s, specialist and master’s degree programs on a contractual basis, one should submit the documents to the Admission subcommittees of the faculties or institutions.
The application within the quota
Admission for foreigners, stateless people and compatriots living abroad to study at the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (hereinafter RANEPA) at the expense of the federal budget allocations within the quota established by the Government of the Russian Federation (October 8, 2013) № 891 «On Fixing an Education Quota for Foreign Nationals and Stateless Citizens in the Russian Federation» is carried out by RANEPA in the 2019/20 academic year to the following programs for bachelor, master, scientific and pedagogical personnel in postgraduate course.
LIST of documents required to apply for admission (Excerpt from RANEPA Admission Rules)
1. To apply for competitive admission, the candidate is required to submit digital copies of the following documents:
1) Application for government-funded education in the Russian Federation within the established quota (hereinafter Application);
2) Identity document (passport);
3) Certificate of academic achievement and (or) qualification earned in the Russian Federation, and (or) certificate of academic achievement and (or) qualification earned in a foreign state;
4) Published research papers and (or) abstract (for postgraduate programs);5) Statement from an authorized medical institution in the candidate’s country of residence confirming the absence of medical contraindications for studying in the Russian Federation;
6) Statement from an authorized medical institution in the candidate’s country of residence confirming their human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-negative and AIDS-free status;
8) Other documents the candidate deems necessary to present.2. Documents in a foreign language should have an enclosed translation into Russian, certified in the prescribed manner.
3. Foreign academic certificates should be legalized or have an apostille affixed, although a candidate may submit such documents without legalization or apostille when applying; the said document with legalization or apostille is to be provided until December 31.
In situations where a candidate is required to provide, along with their foreign academic or qualification certificate, a certificate of recognition of a foreign degree, they may submit the said document without such a certificate when applying; the said certificate is to be provided until December 31. The recognition procedure can be carried out at the Academy, also until December 31.
4. The candidate is entitled to apply for enrollment in no more than 3 areas of training, listing them in their application form in descending order of preference.
5. If you intend to simultaneously apply for various degree-level programs, or to the Academy and one or more of its regional branches, you must submit separate sets of documents each for:
i) a program at the Academy and at each of its branches;
ii) each degree-level program. If, due to the specifics of the educational system in the country in which the candidate is studying/has studied, they cannot provide a document on academic achievement and (or) qualification from a foreign country, they can provide any document containing the results of their latest progress evaluation issued by their educational institution in the host country (an academic reference, a transcript, or any document confirming their education of an appropriate level).
 The subject matter of the abstract should correspond to the area of training chosen by the candidate applying for a postgraduate-level training program for academics.
Dates of admission in the 2020/21 academic year:
- The start of accepting documents - February 11, 2020
- The end of accepting documents - May 20, 2020
- The term of the entrance examinations - from February 18, 2020, to June 20, 2020
Department for Educational Policy:
Phone: +7 499 956-98-50, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal reception on quota questions is held: from Tuesday to Thursday from 14.00 to 17.00 in room 1405 (building 9). To get a pass to RANEPA, it is necessary to send to the mentioned email address full name and exact date of the visit 2 days in advance.